Spun off from a division of Westinghouse Electric Corp., IST manufactures sensitive, high-tech scientific instruments used in nuclear power generation, chemical manufacturing, and defense markets. Steady growth soon overtaxed the available space at its Horseheads plant. IST knew it needed a campus-like setting where each business unit could have its own dedicated space.
Welliver was hired to equip IST’s campus structures with specialized utility hook-ups and move its tightly intertwined operations without impairing manufacturing capabilities. The IST campus sits on a 25-acre site and is comprised of five buildings: IST corporate headquarters, a tenant-occupied structure, and three IST units: Imaging Group, Sensing Group, and Analytical Instruments Group.
- Continuity of operations was essential for IST. Therefore, we phased construction efforts by utilizing swing shifts and were able to work around the clock.
- Managed two sets of subcontractors which called for equally high levels of collaboration and communication.
- Moved departments and support equipment without disabling other units and with minimal down time.
- Implemented Welliver’s Safety Program to monitor and ensure a safe work environment for the construction of the hydrogen tank farm.
- Project team managed relocation of equipment from manufacturing facilities in California.
- Developed Tool-Decontamination Protocols and assisted owner with commissioning and start-up procedures for new facility.