The construction of the Plant was phased in three (3) parts because the existing plant was required to remain in operation. Our team began with the removal of one (1) 250,000 gallon settling basin constructed in 1903 followed by the installation of the three (3) new concrete settling basins. Each basin holds approximately 90,000 gallons of water. There is a 24” raw water main which is gravity fed from a 60 foot dam located east of the city. We engaged a specialty contractor to perform a live tap on the line, install a new valve and sleeve, and route the water into the newly constructed basins.
Our team installed plate settlers and sludge collection equipment in the new basins. The equipment is used to remove the heavy particles in raw water. When this work was completed and working properly, Phase II was launched with the removal of another 250,000 gallon settling basin. This phase included the installation of new water purification equipment.
Phase III involved the demolition of the remaining plant to build new offices, laboratory, and a truck garage. We installed a concrete tunnel between the two (2) existing clear wells that hold about 1,500,000 gallons of potable water. We removed the sod from the roof of the clear well built in 1929 and installed a new rubber roof.
Renovation Project of the Year - New York Section of the American Water Works Association (AWWA)